Researching and writing has been so great here in Berlin. The film archives have been a really fantastic experience and help. Watching the actual rolls of film stock by yourself in a screening room you realize how clear these silent films from the 1920s used to be and how they are meant to look.
The federal archive, Kinemathek, and Film Museum Potsdam have been awesome. It feels so good to see exhibits and archives where so much care, attention, and passion has gone into German cinema's preservation and exhibition. I actually almost got choked up in the museum once. C'mon I heart film.
It was also recently the big Berlinale Film Festival. It was super crowded everywhere and most shows totally sold out. I went to the red carpet for the award ceremony and saw Wong Kar Wai (one of my favorite directors) and Tim Robbins among many other German stars but unfortunately the American actors at the festival (Emma Stone, Ethan Hawke, Nic Cage, etc.) didn't attend the finals. It was still cool and I froze standing there with all the screaming people.
Then last week Miya said her favorite movies were 1. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) 

and
2. Sunrise: a Song of Two Humans (1927) and that just warms a father's heart.




2 comments:
I heart my son and his family! Ya gotta know how much I LOVE living vicariously through all your adventures and learning experiences. I feel like I am a better person for knowing what you're showing and sharing with all of us! And MAN, I wish so much that I could just travel...you've all experienced some awesome stuff, and I'm looking forward to more. I think I can understand a little of what you must have felt as you watched the pure, silent films. Mankind has done some amazing things with pure intent, and inspiration. And yes, on the other hand, they have also done some not so cool things with mal intent and deception, but I choose to always focus on the "amazing." Lol...I am so grateful for your family's courage and pioneer attitude. You're all my heroes. Go, Mase, Go! Write that dissertation!! And to Erika, I say, "hang on! that snow has got to melt at some point, and the sun shine more!" haha. But thank you for all the great photos that help me share the fun! Love you to pieces.
Precious and awesome : )
Post a Comment